By Engineer Mohammed Abba-Gana
The People’s Democratic Party, (PDP) is confronting internal challenges. These challenges have to be resolved because, no matter what, the PDP is a major stakeholder in Nigerian politics. In handling the challenges, therefore, certain key points must be clear to all parties to the crease. My ambition here to itemize some of such points.
- Reconciliation is necessary because it adds value and positive energy to any organization such as our party. So, our party, the great PDP, becomes even greater.
- Again, we must accept that nobody comes to reconciliation without ending up with something at the end of the reconciliation process.
- Therefore, it is given and accepted that a good and positive reconciliation exercise is a process in which every side must gain something and lose something for the greater good of the organization, country or individuals involved/concerned or even the whole world.
- As we human beings are not perfect, we are sometimes forced by circumstances to choose between two evils or nasty cum difficult options in human affairs. Here, men and women of knowledge and wisdom are consulted about which is the better alternative to accept or choose.
- Sometimes, due to lack of wisdom or good and patriotic advice, leaders choose a cure or alternative which is much worse than the disease or the other/second alternative.
- Or to choose a policy option which cures the disease but leaves side effects that can kill the patient. The disease may not kill the patient but the side effects of the medicine can kill the patient. This is the reason why leaders and rulers must always seek and keep men of knowledge, wisdom and patriotism around them.
- Finally, in all matters, the goodness of an action/policy/process is measured by the amount of happiness it produces for the majority of the people.
The author is a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, (FCT) and a member of the Board of Trustees of the PDP